It's time again for the nation's largest literary festival, the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books! The 22nd annual event, taking place April 22-23 at the University of Southern California, will feature more than 500 authors, celebrities, musicians, artists and chefs. On Friday, April 21, the 37th annual Book Prizes will honor reading and educational activist Ruebén Martinez with the Innovator's Award, novelist Thomas McGuane with the Robert Kirsch Award for lifetime achievement, and 11 outstanding literary works published during the last year.
Authors and celebrities scheduled to appear at the festival include Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Margaret Atwood, Andrew Aydin, T. C. Boyle, Michael Connelly Books, Bryan Cranston, Ayesha Curry, Roxane Gay, David Grohl, Virginia Grohl, Hannah Hart, Chris Hayes, Tippi Hedren, Marlon James, Novelist, Clinton Kelly, John Lewis, Cheech Marin, Danica McKellar, Viet Thanh Nguyen, Joyce Carol Oates, Kelly Oxford, Chuck Palahniuk, Nate Powell, Mary Roach, Luis J. Rodriguez, George Saunders, John Scalzi, Scott Simon, Angie Thomas, Stephen Tobolowsky, Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o and more.
Additional festival highlights:
* 10 outdoor stages: Acura Cooking Stage, Hoy Stage, L.A. Sound Stage, L.A. Times Central, L.A. Times Main Stage, Poetry Stage, Reading by 9 Children's Stage, Travel & Wellness Stage, USC Stage and YA Stage
* Street-art-style mural installations curated by Branded Arts; finished murals will be donated to the Dr. Maya Angelou Community High School
* Center Theatre Group performance of songs from the musical "Into the Woods"
* Hundreds of exhibitors with books and merchandise for sale, giveaways and activities
* Musical performances, food trucks and more!
The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books is presented in association with USC, and the Southern California Acura Dealers are the event's platinum sponsor.
The festival is free, open to the public and centrally located in the Downtown Arts and Education Corridor adjacent to Exposition Park.
Attendees can purchase Festival Passes (which provide advance reservations for up to 20 conversations) as well as tickets to the Book Prizes. Individual conversation tickets will be available for reservation on Sunday, April 16.
Schedule, location, ticket and transportation information can be found on the festival website and Twitter feed (#bookfest).
- April 22, 2017 at 6pm – April 24, 2017
University of Southern California
3551 Trousdale Pkwy
Los Angeles, CA 90089
Google map and directions