Disgraced former congressman Blake Farenthold won’t repay $84K sexual harassment settlement

rawImage.jpg

He still owes us $84,000:

Former Rep. Blake Farenthold, the disgraced Texas Republican who resigned last month in the aftermath of a sexual harassment settlement, has secured his next paid gig – as a government lobbyist. But even though he’s going to be raking in a reported six-figure salary, Farenthold told ABC News that he has no intention of repaying an $84,000 sexual harassment settlement funded by taxpayers.

Farenthold told a Corpus Christi, Texas talk radio station Monday that he’s accepted a position as a “legislative liaison” at the Calhoun Port Authority, previously known as the Port of Port Lavaca-Point Comfort. Farenthold’s hiring announcement was first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times.

Reached via phone Tuesday morning by ABC News, Farenthold declined to comment on his new job.”

“I’m a private citizen now, so I’m not commenting about my employment,” Farenthold said.

Farenthold then made clear that he has no intention of repaying an $84,000 taxpayer settlement stemming from a 2014 complaint by a former congressional aide alleging sexual harassment, gender discrimination and retaliation.

“I will say this on the record: I have been advised by my attorneys not to repay that,” Farenthold told ABC. “That’s why it hasn’t been repaid.”

Farenthold refused to disclose his attorneys’ justification for that legal advice.

You can read the rest at ABC News.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.